Lady Henrietta Gilmour Photographic CollectionRecord level Collection
Henrietta Gilmour (ca.1850-1926) The Gilmours were a Renfrewshire family with extensive interests in Canadian timber and shipping. One branch of the family settled in Fife, acquiring the estates of Lundin in 1872 and Montrave in 1873, adding Greenside, Pratis and part of Kilmux later. In 1873, Henrietta Gilmour, second daughter of David Gilmour of Quebec, married her cousin, John Gilmour of Lundin and Montrave a prominent Fife landowner. An officer in the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry, he was created a baronet at Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. Lady Henrietta is thought to be one of Scotland's earliest women photographers. She took up photography as a hobby after the birth of her seventh and last child, pursuing the activity from around 1890 to 1912. Her 1256 glass negatives portray the life and leisure activities of the Scottish country gentry, that mostly reflect her social status but also daily life and activities on the estate and its farms, so that we see images of herself, her family and friends in formal attire or relaxing at picnics, on boating expeditions and at play. There are many images of horses (the Clydesdale stud was nationally famous) and other livestock, some ready groomed for the camera or agricultural shows. The collection also includes landscape and wildlife photography taken during the annual sporting season at properties in the west of Scotland, including Ardlamont, Black Corries near Kingshouse, Glencoe, Achdalieu and Inverewe. There are also 145 lantern slides taken on their honeymoon tour of India, Ceylon and Japan.
Lady Henrietta Gilmour Collection